At Marin Shakespeare Company Summer Camps, we make Shakespeare fun! Campers learn the stories and characters of Shakespeare's plays through story-telling, creative dramatics and theatre games.
Why Shakespeare? He presents the human condition in all its infinite variety— the beauty, terror, comedy, and passion of the human spirit. His rich language, complex characters and compelling stories help us develop our critical sensitivity and emotional intelligence. It’s a lifelong journey, as our students can attest, and our professional teaching artists make Shakespeare passionately, exuberantly fun!
WHERE: Locations in Novato, Ross and San Rafael. See website for details
WHEN: One week sessions, M-F. 9:00-12:00 pm; Two week sessions, M-F, 9:00 am–3:00 pm; June 12-August 11. Classes for teenagers: noon-4:00 pm
AGES: Boys and girls, ages 5-18
ACTIVITIES: Four programs based on child's age. See website for specific dates:
- Shakespeare's Stories: ages 5-7 (San Rafael)
- Young Company: ages 8-12 (San Rafael,Ross and Novato)
- Teen Programs: ages 13-18 (San Rafael)
- Tennis/Drama Camp: ages 8-14 (San Rafael)
COST: Fees range from $200-$925 depending on length and choice of program
DETAILS: Camp activities include stories, theatre games, acting, performance, improvisation, character creation, ensemble building, and tennis. Program themes vary by age group and include:
- Shakespeare’s Stories (ages 5-7): Very young children will learn the stories and characters of Shakespeare's plays through story-telling, creative dramatics and theatre games.
- Young Company (ages 8-12): Campers will explore Shakespeare's exciting characters, language and stories. Each session culminates in a performance of an abbreviated Shakespeare play. (9:00 am–3:00 pm)
- Tennis/Drama (ages 8-14): June 26-July 14, M—F from noon to 3:00 pm at Forest Meadows Amphitheatre and the Marin Tennis Club in San Rafael. Campers spend mornings taking drama classes exploring improvisation, character creation, ensemble building, and playing a scene. Spend afternoons taking group tennis lessons with instructors from the Marin Tennis Club, and enjoying the club's swimming pool. The camp culminates in a performance of scenes on the Forest Meadows stage.
- Teen Performance (ages 13-19): July 10-28, M—F from noon to 4:00 pm in San Rafael. Campers work with a professional director to rehearse and perform Love's Labour's Lost, Shakespeare's witty, exuberant play about four young couples who try not to fall in love (but fail).
CONTACT: Visit www.marinshakespeare.org or call 415-499-4487.
MY STORY About Marin Shakespeare Camp
By Emma Hartley, age 7, home-schooled<pI’ve taken part in the amazing Marin Shakespeare Company summer camp, and I’m now signing up for my third awesome year with their Teen Touring Company!
MSC’s summer camps are held in a few different places throughout Marin. My favorite summer camp spot is the Marin Art and Garden Center. This was the setting for my first camp, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, in which I played the character “Puck.” It’s not all just memorizing lines, we also play lots of fun acting related games, and we even got to learn how to stage fight, when I was in Romeo and Juliet.
I’ve learned a lot about the history and language of Shakespeare, played lots of different parts in lots of different plays, and I had tons of fun doing it. We learned how to juggle, come up with our own Shakespearian sounding insults, and even write our own monologues in Iambic pentameter (Shakespeare’s writing rhythm).
For teens (aged 13-18) MSC offers a Teen Touring Company. Teen Touring is really an amazing opportunity to be part of a more professionally run group of teen actors, with a wide range of skill levels. In this program, teens audition for their parts, rehearse a play for a couple months, and then perform at schools and senior centers in and around Marin. My favorite part about working with this group is performing for the seniors at the retirement communities, because they often know the plays, and they really seem to appreciate our performances. I highly recommend this camp.