The energy at Old Navy is palpable: walking through the piles of clothing and meeting with the talented designers, it’s difficult not to conjure up visions working there as a full-time fashionista. Creativity abounds. Creating new designs to make clothing more comfortable and fashionable at the same time is no easy task. Yet with individuals like Kim, Charissa and Anu who support each other and are so alive with passion and creativity, the work feels like play. We’re sold!
from Caroline Frost - Tam High School, freshman
When you’re in your teens, fashion is a major part of your life. Sometimes it’s really hard to figure out what to wear; you want to look good, but also want to be comfortable in your own skin.
It seems people often judge your outfit at school: what brand it is, how expensive it is, and whether or not it matches. Choosing the trendiest or most stylish (and appropriate) outfit is not always an easy task. Here are some tips for making your fall fashion adventures easier:
- Don’t be sloppy; make sure everything fits well. Don’t let straps underneath show, be careful when wearing short shirts so that your stomach doesn’t show every time you move.
- Match your clothes with complementary colors—and don’t the mix the patterns.
- Proper fit; Jeans look good on almost everyone as long as they fit well. Know your body type before putting on your favorite pair of jeans. Does your type look good in wide-leg jeans, skinny jeans, boot-cut, or flares?
- Be colorful; One or two brightly colored pieces of clothing are always fun without being overwhelming.
- Be practical; Maxi-dresses and long skirts are a good alternative to jeans because you can wear them with practically any top.
- Belts (skinny or wide) make most outfits up-to-date cool when worn over the shirt, sweater, or dress and cinched around your waist.
- Most important, be yourself! — put your own personality and unique sense of style into what you wear. Don’t follow someone else’s style just because it looks good on them. Experiment with different styles and find out what suits you best. Look around and read different types of magazines, and ask your friends for fashion suggestions that fit you.
You’re unique, and so is your style in fashion! Express your individuality and don’t be afraid to show your inner wild-child.